Thursday, October 6, 2011

Thursday at DAHA

So - how did the show go?  After my worries from the prior weekend, confessing to Todd that I'd "broken" Blu, and knowing I was going to my first show without Sharon, it actually turned out pretty well.

On Thursday I'd driven the camper to the office so I could leave straight from work and I was able to get out the door at noon and with a stop for gas I arrived at 12:45.  Todd had gotten there at 10am and had the barn mostly set up.  Laura and her husband John got there about an hour before I did.  By the time I got there it was really just the final touches to the barn that were necessary.

Early in the setup

Our main focus was getting the horses ready.  It was 95 degrees and we were all (horses, too) sweating bullets.  Todd definitely had to work during the week to "fix" Blu but when I saw them on Thursday I thought they looked great.  I wasn't sure how it was going to go with me up, but Todd thought it would be fine.   He had me get on and we worked through some issues.  Turns out I had been giving Blu conflicting instructions last weekend and he didn't know what I was asking which is why he wasn't doing anything right (at least in my mind).  Todd got me through the issue and I was feeling more confident about the possibilities for the show.

Todd worked all the performance horses in the main show arena.

Thursday was going to be my only night on my own - Todd and Laura and John had all gotten hotel rooms and I was staying in the camper.  Ken was joining me Friday.  I'd gone to the show office earlier to get my number and make sure all my paperwork was in order and while I was there I met Coke, the Show Manager.  When I'd asked where my site was she offered to take me there in her golf cart.  I hopped in and on the way she introduced me to the owner of the facility.  Bill was riding everywhere on his bicycle and when he found out I had a truck camper he smiled and said he had the perfect spot for me.  Turns out he was right. 

 It was in a nice grassy pasture, fenced and close to our barn.

Mom and Dad called to let me know they'd be at the show in the morning and my friends Amy and Cherie called about 5:30 and said they were on their way from Reno and would probably go straight to the hotel.  But about 9:30pm I got another call.  The girls decided to come straight to the showgrounds and stay the night there.  The only problem?  They were lost in the showgrounds and didn't know where I was.  I got out in my pajamas with my flashlight and phone and started walking towards where I thought they were.  It probably looked pretty funny to everyone else in RVs watching me walk around with a phone to my ear, but eventually we found each other.  All was well.  We hung out by the camper for a while catching up but since I had an early morning coming I hit the hay about 11pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment