Thursday, December 27, 2018

December 27, 2018 Day 2

Well rested after a lovely evening last night and a comfortable bed, Ken was up at 6am and he and Ian headed out for a swim in the Pacific while I enjoyed another 30 minutes in bed relaxing before I got up and enjoyed a morning sitting on the deck with my sketch pad (thanks Kim!) and listened to the tropical sounding birds.  

The weather is wonderful, if a bit humid.  About 90 degrees with 70% humidity.  It'll take me a bit to get used to it and figure out my hair....it appears the curling iron I brought will just be a waste of space!

Our planned day today (Thursday) is for Ian to drop us off at Spit Junction so we can take the B Line bus into the city....

And we're back!  What a fun day.  Our walk around Sydney appears to have been a pub crawl, as I look at the photos I am downloading, but what a pub crawl it was!  We walked 7 1/2 miles and stopped at three different Hotels (that's "Pub" to Americans) and many vista points.  Walked in a couple shops but didn't purchase anything.

I marked up a map that Ian printed out for us, and it shows us wandering around seemingly aimlessly but that was exactly what we wanted to do.  


This is a staircase just underneath the road that goes over the Sydney Harbor bridge.  It had some great moss on the rocks but that doesn't appear to show very well in this picture.

We walked up to the Observatory Park and couldn't pass up a picture under the Magnolia tree.  Ken looks like an ant!

Standing in the gazebo we took the first of many selfies today

Ken standing in the gazebo checking out the harbor

After leaving the Observatory we walked down a staircase towards Kent Street.  If we didn't know better we felt like we were in New Orleans with some of the ironwork.

Our first goal was a stop at The Palisades which has The Henry Deane Bar on the top floor.  If you didn't know it was there you'd never find it, and would instead enjoy a nice pint at the ground floor pub.  The picture above looked much better in person but I loved that you could see the etching of Palisade Hotel and the reflection of the Sydney Harbor Bridge in the glass.

 Melinda and Ian gave us this recommendation - at the Henry Deane we had an amazing view of the harbor, bridge, and countless boats and ships.  I had a Cuban Rum and Ken had a pale ale to start.

Our hostess recommended we try a few different options (they have upscale pub food) so we started with Camouflaged Tuna (the sashimi tuna looked exactly like the watermelon slices) which was in a pepper oil sauce.  Excellent!

We chose the Giant Prawns for our next bites - they appeared to be whole, split giant prawns (which Ken had seen at the fish market yesterday and hoped to try while we were here) covered in butter and cheese, charred.  Another excellent choice!  Our third item was the Black Leather Jacket Roll which  was a white fish covered in black squid ink on a roll, slider style.  It was also excellent though it didn't photograph well so you'll have to take my word for it. 

Ken next tried a Kosciuzko Pale Ale - the hostess said that was a mountain range to the south and was where it was brewed.  Ken said it was excellent.

Our next stop was the Lord Nelson Brewery

Where I had a Bundaberg Rum and Ken started with a Trafalgar Pale Ale and then a Victory Bitter - both brewed on premise.

To work off all the beers/rums we decided to walk around Barangaroo (another recommendation by Melinda) which was a lovely park.
Ken on part of the trail with lovely views - the dark wall to the right was possibly Iron - certainly some kind of metal with a pretty (to me) red tint.  But another photo that didn't turn out the way I'd hoped.

Now to understand this picture you'd have to have been with us at the Henry Deane and watched with us as a very lovely Asian young woman (who was on her own and taking, and I don't think I'm exaggerating, 50 selfies in a 1 hour time span) posed in so many ways I lost count.  She just made us laugh so I decided to try my hand at a 'pose' (and went all out, tilting my head - haha).

This is one of the towers of the Sydney Harbor Bridge.  It was immense!

Under the bridge - waters were a small bit rough - but there were hundreds of seagulls on the far side that caught my eye.

Yes, yet another 'pose' and I'm getting SLIGHTLY more creative, but hey, it's kind of fun!

This one just makes me smile


Checking out the Sydney Opera House (yep - 'pose')

Our final Hotel (aka Pub) stop was the Grand Hotel - I don't remember what beer Ken got here.

I was unable to get a Bundy so I 'settled' for a Sailor Jerry - was about done in for the day though - I can tell I'm getting tired looking at this picture.

On our 2km walk back home from the Spit Junction bus stop we saw the Bird Guy feeding Cocaktoos and Lorikeets

No comments:

Post a Comment